Archaeology and the Gospels with James Strange
Dr. James Strange (Samford University) talks to us about archaeology and the gospels. We discuss:
- The Shikhin excavation project in Israel
- Oil lamp production in the first century
- How archaeologists relate archaeology and the texts of the gospels
- How an archaeologist may read Matthew 5:14-15, including:
- “You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid” (v. 14)
- “People do not light a lamp and put it under the bushel basket” (v. 15)
- The function, structure, and significance of synagogues
Relevant Works by James Strange
- Excavating the Land of Jesus: How Archaeologists Study the People of the Gospels. Eerdmans, 2023.
- Galilee in the Late Second Temple and Mishnaic Periods. 2 volumes. Fortress, 2014/2015.
James Strange Recommends
- The older version of the 5 inch Marshalltown trowel
- Friends of ASOR Webinars (American Society of Overseas Research)
- Just So You Know by E.R. Brown (Youtube channel on archaeology and the Bible)
Visit our website at thetwotestaments.com, where you can subscribe and continue your guided journey through Scripture.
Find us on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Vurbl, iHeart Radio, Amazon Music, and Pocket Casts.
Watch us on Youtube.